February 28, 2008

Wire Wrapping

I am not an artistic person and haven’t got much of an imagination for arty style, but I went out on a ledge and took a wire wrapping class.

Wire wrapping is wrapping gold, silver, or copper wire around a pretty gem stone, crystal, or plain rock. Ken has made some really pretty pieces in the lapidary shop and he needed some way of showing the stones off better than just a plain mounting. I picked out a pretty mahogany obsidian stone that he had earlier finished off and used it as my “trial” piece in working with wire. I learned how to bend and manipulate three wires into a pretty setting for the stone. Excuse the flash on the stone, but that was the only way to show the mounting.....



Since the class, I have acquired a few more tools and lots more wire. Now the problem is just finding the quiet time to work with it!! I also hope to do some wraps with copper and silver wire in the near future.

No comments: